Saturday, October 18, 2008

Figuring out Facebook

About 10 days ago, I joined Facebook, after being encouraged (i.e. naggedd...) by a friend for several weeks to get on board.

If you're on the fence, here's what I learned:

1. I now have more than 80 friends.  Most are people I solicited.  A few have solicited me.  It's nice to be contacted by people you went to high school or college with or worked with many years ago.

2. The Facebook system tries repeatedly to gain access to your personal information on your computer.  It does this by asking  you to let a friend add you to a birthday list, send you a flower, poke you etc.  I always say no because I do not want this system to have access.

3. There's not much to do on the site other than invite friends, write on their "walls" (their home pages) and write about what you are doing at any given moment.

4. Some people use Facebook as a marketing vehicle.  My high-school colleague Eric Yaverbaum has done quite well for himself and he is on Facebook to solicit users for PR and book projects and to provide opinions and hits on his business website.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's just interesting to learn.

5. I don't do anything interesting enough to post on my "wall", so I make stuff up.


5 comments:

Colleen said...

I started out on MySpace just like you... unsure of what to say/post... but you'll find your way :) Have fun! I haven't joined Facebook yet. I was one of the last to join MySpace. I might have to join Facebook... maybe.... soon.... maybe...

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

Lisa. I'm on Facebook because my Israeli family encouraged me to join. Trouble is all their messages to each other are in Hebrew!!! So when I go to their wall I'm suddenly at "a wall in Haifa" if you get my drift. Clueless. To be fair, they do communicate with me in English.

But, I've really LOVED Facebook. A lot of old friends have contacted me.

Contact Travis said...

still on the fence here.

Elwood Greene said...

Lisa,
My experience has been the same as yours. I joined Facebook at the request of a co-worker. I gave it a whole hearted try. I played the games, I reviewed books and music, I wrote on walls but at the end of the day, I realized that I was wasting my time.
I wasn't doing anything but feeding my dinosaur or hunting for my wagon train.
The funny thing was that I was the top producer most of the time because I was the only one dedicated to doing it.
In the end, I made the decision that it wasn't for me...I had better things to do with my time.
I need time to read blogs, for God's sake!

Sue said...

I do like Facebook because I've reconnected with some old friends, but there is a lot of CRAP on it too! People are always sending me drinks, flower patches, pokes, etc, but I just ignore them all. Another thing is, I'm friend requested by people I know, but don't necessarily want to be 'friends' with, so I end up just keeping their requests in my Inbox forever. That's a little weird, but oh well. I like reading about what's going on in people's lives, but then again, that's what blogs are for! Uh...I'm not sure I added anything...