I had my first Waltz-3 class tonight, and it was so much fun to be with advanced-level waltzers who know what they're doing!
For some reason (perhaps my German heritage?) I immediately took to this dance when I first learned it in high school. I even took it upon myself to teach the cast of a musical senior year how to waltz for a particular scene. After that, I promptly forgot, and didn't waltz again until my mid 30's. And then, it wasn't so good.
But when I returned to Seattle in 2002 I started taking lots of dance classes. It let me hold men without getting too close, you know?
I also learned a lot about waltzing, swing dancing, salsa, blues one-step, rhumba, cha cha, and a few other assorted dance steps.
These aren't competition-style dance steps. But I know enough to get by in a social situation, which was my goal.
Back to the waltz. I took to it like a duck to water. I've done several day and weekend-long waltz seminars, focusing on different aspects of the dance. And when the music sweeps me away, and my partner knows what he is doing, the magic is like no other I have experienced. I am transported to Vienna in the 1700's.
5 comments:
Yay! It feels so good to dance!
I've always had an urge to learn waltz as well. Last night on Dancing with the Stars I saw the Viennese Waltz, and thought it was SO beautiful. I have german heritage as well...maybe its just in our blood!
I am a wonderful cha-cha-cha dancer.
Quite nimble if I do say so myself.
I've won national awards for my dancing, which I think I've mentioned here before.
Surely I mentioned that to you, Lisa. You knew that I was a world class dancer, didn't you?
I knew you'd never dance with me because you were too good for me.
Perhaps you were always too good for me?
I just couldn't get the hang of waltz. Maybe I'm just a blues and swing sort of guy!
Post a Comment