Friday, August 15, 2008

And, since we're on the subject: "A Girl With a Pearl Earring"



I'm sure you thought of this painting the minute you saw the titles of the other two. This masterpiece, also by Vermeer, hangs in The Hague, and has also been called the "Mona Lisa of the North". Her expression, and of course, the luxurious use of light are hallmarks of this artist who painted in the mid 1600's.

By the way, the image below, of actress Scarlett Johanssen was made to publicize her role in the independent film "Girl With A Pearl Earring".

Yes, somebody was so captivated with the painting that they created an entire fantasy about the young woman.

The movie depicts this young girl as a cleaning woman in the Vermeer household. There is much stress in the home because the painter is working on getting another commission. That's how he pays his bills.

It's beautifully shot. Every scene is like a painting itself. The lighting designer must have been at the top of his game to make it all come together. Watch it with the sound off. The pictures are enough.

5 comments:

Linda S. Silberman said...

Yes, that is a great film! Besides being visually beautiful, I think the story is quite compelling and how the life of an artist was back in those days and how they mix the pigment. It brings a greater appreciation for the art of those days.
Love you,
Linda

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

I really like this "art direction" you've taken lately.

Kristin said...

I never saw that movie, but I really like Scarlett Johanson. I should try to find it at the library!

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend "The Girl in Hyacinth Blue" it's a different author but about Vermeer too. It follows the ownership of a painting from now back to Vermeer's time

Lisa said...

That sounds fascinating! I'll look for it.