Friday, September 19, 2008

Managing Change


I remember what a big deal it was when the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi made the cover of Time Magazine. We had arrived.

And when I say "we", I mean people who practice Transcendental Meditation.

When I was 15 years old, my Mother, always a seeker, decided that if our family of 4 (3 daughters and herself) learned to meditate, we would lose weight. There was no contemplation of peace, harmony, unity, clear thought, relaxation, elimination of stress, nothing like that. No, we would "finally" be thin if we just would meditate.

So off we went to the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania TM center. We attended a couple of introductory classes, then it was off to individual instruction with certified teachers, to learn the technique. I remember we had to bring a clean white handkerchief and fresh flowers. I think we also had to bring fruit or something. These were used in the initial individual meditation session.

I was 15. I didn't get most of it. But then, the teachers started to chant a mantra. He kept on doing it, and indicated I was supposed to do it too. So I did. I felt weird, but I did. I remember having the profoundest sense of "GetthehelloutofthisplaceNOW!"

But I didn't. I kept on chanting the mantra, and eventually, repeating it silently.

And something happened. I "transcended". Even that first time. I remember opening my eyes after some unknown period of time, with a sense of calm and peace that I had never experienced before.

I don't know if my sisters or Mother felt the same way, but we kept on coming back for weekly "check-ins" for a time.

After that, I continued to meditate. I would get away from it for weeks or months sometimes, but I have always returned.

The mantra, the calming brain waves, the deep rest have always been my solace. I frequently meditate just before going on the air. It rejuvinates me.

I also practice my morning meditation with my dogs. I say "OK, it's time to meditate", and they follow me to my meditation spot and sit down quietly for 20 minutes. I don't even have to prompt them with promises of cookies or w-a-l-ks. (yes, I even have to spell it in the blog, 'cause they know it's coming if I write the whole word or, God forbid, speak it aloud!)

I love my daily Meditation.

......but I never did get THIN.


4 comments:

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

I really admire you for your dedication to this-- and I know that it's such an important part of your life.

I think it is a lesson for all of us to find something that centers us on a day to day basis.

Kristin said...

I would love to get into meditation, it seems so soothing and a good way to get your center. You'd probably like the book, Eat Pray Love, where she talks about her meditation experience at an Ashram in India.

Lisa said...

Kristin, I DO love that book. I read it last September during a retreat to Lake Quinault Lodge. It was wonderful!

Colleen said...

After reading Eat. Pray. Love and her time at the Ashram. I am itching to learn meditation.