Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Sure Sign of Fall



Every year about this time, I get a craving. Nothing says fall better than a caramel apple. One with lots of nuts. The sweetness and crunchiness of the apple, mixed with the chewy caramel and salty peanuts should be a taste of heaven.

But every year, I have just one. Then I remember why I don't eat more than one.

It's because of the year I was in 5th grade. My mother decided to melt down a bunch of Kraft caramel candies and coat apples with them. My sisters and I put sticks in them and we sold them around the neighborhood.

Trouble was that we didn't sell that many. We ended up eating most of them.

I was so sick of caramel apples that I couldn't look at one for more than 10 years.

Now, I have one a year.

Just one.

6 comments:

Anne S. said...

I remember that! But, I can still eat one a week. I still LOVE caramel apples.

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

Grandpa can't eat caramel. Too many 'caps' don't you know.

But I do love them.

I'll just live deliciously and vicariously through you.

Kristin said...

Yummm I haven't had one of those in so long but it looks like a piece of heaven!

Contact Travis said...

i love the IDEA of them, but apples in general are difficult for me to eat...the skin always shreds between my teeth (my teeth are extremely close together, I shred even the thinnest floss) and then my gums hurt and the skin gets stuck for days.

Colleen said...

You know... I really don't like caramel apples. I love looking at them, admiring them, smelling them, but when it comes to eating them... I simply cannot.

Weisenheimer said...

We saw some in a shop in Ashland this week that were studded with M&Ms. Ugh....