Saturday, November 1, 2008

Aw Shucks!!!

Tonight was the Oyster New Year event at Elliott's Oyster House on the Seattle Waterfront, and once again I was honored to be asked to be one of the judges in the "Most Beautiful Oyster" contest.

And therein lies the joke. Most Beautiful Oyster???

But it was a lot of fun. Public Relations Goddess Katie Wilkinson ran the whole shebang, and made sure we silly media types knew what we were doing.


Fortunately, we didn't have to do any oyster shucking. That was left to the pros, who made it all look so EASY!!


Part of the admission price went to the Puget Sound Restoration Fund, which is helping to bring back oyster habitat. They do great work.

There were dozens of seafood companies with all the raw oysters you could eat, plus Elliott's had a great spread of cooked seafood and veggie options.

And the dessert table looked lovely, although I was so full I didn't even try them!

Also there were many Washington wineries and a few breweries with samples to go along with the seafood. I stuck very close to the nice men handing out the Pear Cider.

Very fun event!!!

3 comments:

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

I've done that event before. It is a lot of fun. That's an honor to be asked back-- because it's a pretty "high rollin" crowd-- nice get.

Colleen said...

I miss Katie! And you! Looks like fun! Although I can't stand the smell of seafood... ehhhh.

Contact Travis said...

yum, i love oysters :)