Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sunday Ritual

Rituals, I think, are important on Sunday Mornings.

And even though church is usually a part of those rituals, it is not as consistent as Will Shortz Sunday Puzzle on NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday.

When I lived in Cleveland and first listened to the local NPR stations, WCPN and WKSU, (because commercial radio was abysmal) I became a fan of the puzzle.

I enjoyed calling my sister Anne in Seattle, and since her NPR station was airing the identical program 3 hours earlier, we would do the puzzle together.

It's a simple mind-teaser that I look forward to all week long.  And there's something strangely satisfying about getting Shortz' word pairs or common phrases right.  I take a strange pleasure from scooping host Lianne Hanson on the correct answer, when the contestant is stumped.

But rarely do I get the challenge to qualify the contestant for next week's show.  

I think I got the challenge this time!  Here it is.  See if you get it:

"Name a famous singer from the past, male or female, whose first name has six letters and last name has seven letters.  Rearrange the letters of the last name, and add a letter from the first name to get a place the singer famously performed".  

I think it's Maria Callas at La Scala.  

But sometimes there's more than one correct answer.  We'll have to wait until next week to see if I got it right.

I don't know why "playing puzzle" brings me such delight. But it does.  Perhaps it's a little challenge as I sip my coffee and the dogs beg for bites of my breakfast.  Maybe it's a ritual that links me to something thousands of others are doing.  Or maybe it's something to help me forget I am, once again, waking up alone with only begging dogs as my companions.

Let's have another cup of coffee, shall we?


6 comments:

Colleen said...

Can I hear this program in Spokane? I love puzzles like that, especially since I miss school. I love searching for answers. Fun game! You're right about rituals... they are important. I've found that Kris and I have a few since we get to spend weekends together.

Lisa said...

I'm sure the Spokane NPR station airs Weekend Edition Sunday. It's usually an hour and 45 minutes into the show when they do the puzzle.

Anne S. said...

Um....Maria is 5 letters and Callas is 6 letters. I thought the first name is supposed to have 6 letters and the last name 7 letters. Or did I get that wrong?

Contact Travis said...

Curtis and I like 'Wait Wait Don't Tell Me' on Saturday :)

Especially at the end during the lightening round...we both try to answer as many questions as we can before the panelists do.

Lisa said...

I'm pretty sure the first name was supposed to have 5 letters, the last name 6 letters, and the place the singer performed was the letters of the last name rearranged plus one letter from the first name: thus, La Scala. ---or did I get that wrong?

Lisa said...

I love "Wait, Wait" too! It's lots of fun!