Saturday, November 8, 2008

Taking Stock of the Rain

I'm sitting at my dining room table, listening to the rain pound against the skylights, and I am suddenly possessed with a need to make STOCK!  

It will take several hours, and there's nothing better on a day like today than a hot bowl of fresh veggie soup with homemade stock.  It smells like warmth and tastes like a comforting hug.  

If I venture out later, I'll buy some crusty bread and fresh butter to serve alongside.  

Maybe some different veggies in the soup today.  Let's see.  Fennel would be nice, and lima beans , carrots, and a can of diced tomatoes.  Oh, and fresh rosemary from the neighbor's plant is a good idea. 

And this time, what about egg noodles, cooked separately, and added at the last minute, with freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top?

OK, better get to work!


5 comments:

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

I Don't know if you meant to, but you've written this Viginia Woolf style in the tradition of Mrs. Dalloway.

Perfect.

Kristin said...

YUM that sounds absolutely delicious!

Contact Travis said...

yum...so how'd it turn out?

Eric - I LOVED Mrs. Dalloway... one of my favorite books of all time.

Colleen said...

Nothing more satisfying than cooking from scratch on a rainy day. It's raining in Spokane, too and it makes me miss the blanket Seattle wraps around you during a storm. Rain just isn't the same here, but I'll take it!

How did it turn out?!

Lisa said...

I ended up spending several hours on the stock, then didn't feel like making the soup, so I have stock in the fridge, and more in the freezer. It turned out really well. But, I ended up eating leftovers instead!