Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My OTHER Heroes

There's a point in life when you get just as big a thrill living the high points of other's lives, as you do your own.

This posting is about just such an experience.

The two people in the photo are Sheryl and Jeremy Grater. Jeremy and I are colleagues at work, and I've had the extreme pleasure of getting to know his beautful wife as well.

The photo was taken at the Youth Ball, celebrating Barak Obama's Inauguration last night.

And what I admire most about these guys is the way they got there, their hope, determination and sheer energy. It took so much for them to be there and they deserved every minute!

Jeremy and Sheryl knew they had to be at the Inauguration from the beginning. They got to D.C. by way of NYC, and since they couldn't find a hotel room, they ended up renting an RV in Virginia, and driving around to Maryland, where they found a space at a campground.

Jeremy used every contact he could think of and finally scored tickets to the Inauguration AND the Youth Ball. But even if they hadn't been lucky, they were going to go anyway.

They took public transportation to many places, walked when they couldn't find any, and stood in a crushing crowd to watch Mr. Obama take the oath of office.

It's history, and I get to live it vicariously through these beautiful souls.

And now, so do YOU!

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Wow! That is SO cool that they did that! What a great story!

Kristin said...

I love living vicariously through everyone as well. We are so lucky to have people in our lives who are doing such interesting things!

Anne S. said...

And they both look really pretty! Congrats to them.

My word verification is "bunti"

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

Party on, Jeremy. Good job.