Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Sure Sign of Summer

The University District Street Fair is one of my favorite events in Seattle.

I've been going since 1983, my first year in Seattle.  I bought a bowl that year from Warne Pottery.   
 It was to put spaghetti in, when I cooked it for my husband, Michael.  I loved the design so much that every year, I would return to buy another piece or two.  I have all kinds of serving dishes, a lamp, and eventually, I ordered an entire set of dinner plates from Warne Pottery.

They're not in business anymore.  I'm sorry about that because 8 of my 10 salad plates have broken!  I still have almost everything else though.

This year's street fair features a performance art exhibit of students in their "natural habitat".  The students are living in this cage for the duration of the fair, and just doing normal dorm room stuff.

Kinda funny.

Lots of artists are at the fair, as always.  These paintings were some of my favorites.  I love the colors, the moods.  The sculptures are created by the painter's husband.  

They have similar geometric sensibilities but entirely different execution.  I hope you click on the photo below to enlarge the artwork.  I loved it!


And, since it's the U-District street fair, there is also a working graffiti artist creating on the spot.  He's accompanied by hip-hop music and break dancers (who must have been on break when I took the photo!)
The U-District Street Fair started many years ago as a way to connect the merchants of University Avenue with the students and counter culture that had taken over the street.  It was a huge success, so it's continued.  It's held the weekend before Memorial Day every year.

So to me, this fair is a sign that summer is on its' way.


2 comments:

Weisenheimer said...

My most memorable U-district street fair was in 1980. Mt. St. Helens was erupting and we could see the plume. Crazy. We college radio folks had, of course, been poking fun at the worry-warts who were predicting an eruption...

Colleen said...

*sigh* I miss Seattle.