Friday, January 8, 2010

Interesting

I observe life as it progresses, and I don't judge. I am intrigued.

I am aware of subtle changes in my body--just like I've been all my life. Sometimes things surprise me, sometimes, it feels very natural.

Reading glasses, for instance. Until I learned this from my former air-partner Eric, I would never have guessed that just about every person over the age of 40 needs reading glasses.

I was able to stave it off for several years, because I had Lasik surgery in 2004. But sure enough, reading glasses entered my life.

I think the deterioration of our vision may be God's way of protecting us from the sharpness of the changes of old age. Think about it. Until just a few hundred years ago, every person who ever lived, had to hold reading material and other close-work farther and farther away, until they reached a point where the eyes stopped changing. And when holding things at arms length no longer brings things in focus, you start to see things as they are, within your grasp.

Wrinkles on your beloved disappear. The ugly truth takes on a muted subtlety. And life goes on.

Eventually, we as a species create our own version of reality, both seen and unseen.

Little tics.....little aches....the tiniest of skin tags where one didn't exist the day before. All are signs that the clock is ticking.

Really, it's OK.

I wouldn't trade physical perfection with wisdom.

Wisdom is a lot more fun. And I have a lot yet to acquire, so I look forward to that too.

Got any Advil?

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Aging is beautiful - and it might not sound like an authentic statement coming from an almost 25 year old, but I love finding the beauty in women of all ages.