Monday, January 10, 2011

I'm Still Here

I'm here again.

Filing for Unemployment compensation for another year.

Unbelievable.

I really thought I would be able to find a job by now. At least I thought I'd warrant some interviews or make it to the next level of something good. After all, I've got nearly 30 years in my profession, have also worked as a writer, marketing director, TV producer, voiceover talent and I know how to bottle beer.

Turns out I'm "not what they're looking for". But that's all about to change. I can feel it.

Sometimes you just have to wait for the right thing to come to you.

OK, it's time.

I just re-upped my unemployment claim, and they make you take another "waiting week". That means I won't be earning $440 this week, even though I'm following all the rules.

And the mortgage is due.

So, once again, I'm going to have to go into my 401(k) account to help make ends meet. I'm grateful I have some retirement savings, but it's very difficult to spend this money, knowing I'm taking it away from "retirement" funds.

But I've got to pay off my credit card.

And the mortgage is due.

I'm grateful I have a mortgage. Grateful for my health. Grateful that Washington's unemployment benefits are so generous.

And for the most part, this past year has been a good one. I kind of like working part-time.

If I only didn't have to worry about the bills.

Welcome to adulthood.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to know you are dancing again...continuing on with your journey. This is such an adventure and I'm grateful to be sharing it with such a wise, warm and funny woman. Keep dancing honey, and making up the steps when the tune seems a little unfamiliar. I love the way you keep a beat to the music!

Anonymous said...

Hugs Lisa...love terry

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa! I just now started reading blogs again, and love hearing how you are doing. Are things looking up? Any prospects? Miss you!