Do you ever wonder what ELSE you would be doing, if you hadn't selected the career path you are presently following?I am wondering that right now.
I returned to college and received my degree in communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and Psychology. Perhaps PR would be a good opportunity.
I also learned to produce television specialty programs and found I was very adaptable, although I have a lot to learn in that department.
I have also worked in retail, and while I enjoyed interacting with the public, I didn't enjoy the frequent schedule changes.
And I dally in commercial and corporate voice-over work. This gives me great pleasure, although it is not exceptionally lucrative at the moment. If I knew how to turn this into a financially productive enterprise, this would be a lot of fun for me.
What would YOU do?
5 comments:
I did do retail management until I was 37. I was boss so I had a stable schedule. Plus the owners of the store lived out of state and gave me unlimited cash flow. I did the buying and hiring and firing. It was like shopping with someones else wallet. But then I got bored and went to school to be a dog trainer. I wanted to work with animals somehow since I was a kid and now I do. Lucky huh?!
I would want to be a therapist, or a magazine writer, or an author, or start my own small PR firm for "green" businesses. I also wouldn't mind working for a nonprofit that helps children and animals. So many choices of careers!
I long to be a writer. Oh wait, I'm doing that.
I also eventually would love to do a radio talk show. That's down the road.
Probably never back to TV although I don't want to rule it out-- because I believe in the addictive nature of broadcasting.
for my entire career on bad days I fantisize about getting out of the business. But there's never a specific place I GO in those fantasies...I can't think of a job i'd rather do...so the fantasy is always just 'out.'
I figure when the day comes that the fantasy becomes something specific, maybe its time to get out.
PS. When I was job hunting to come home to seattle I did open up my mind to other options, but I couldn't stomach the idea of apply for anything other than reporter jobs.
PS. we love you Lisa :)
I know exactly what I'd be doing. I'd be working at a hospital. It may be too late for me to be a doctor - fiscally speaking, but I could see myself as an RN. I just love hospital work... love love love it.
Post a Comment