Saturday, December 13, 2008

My Sweet Girl

apI took Abbey to the vet today because it looked like her anal glands were infected. (sorry to be so graphic here).

Yes they were.  But the vet also found a large tumor just underneath her tail.   She says it's inoperable, but she is running some tests to find out what kind of cells they are, and if they are likely to spread.

She prepared me for the worst.  She says at the very best, we may be able to give some drugs that might keep the tumor from growing, but that there is probably already a lot of damage to her system.  When the test results come back, I will know more about my options with my Abbey-puppy.

She's 13 years old.  She's been with me since she was 12 weeks old.  She drove across the country with me to move to Seattle.

She has been my very good friend and saw me through college, the brewery, my first 2 "Tuxes and Tails", she flew across the country from Cleveland to Redwood City, California one Christmas AND travelled back home again, landing in a windshear at Hopkins International Airport.  Her barks were so panicky that I never ever would fly her again.  

My sweet, sweet baby girl.  

I don't know what to think right now.  Please send her your prayers.  

9 comments:

Weisenheimer said...

Oh, man... sorry to hear that. My best positive vibes to all three of youse.

--g

Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa I am so sorry to hear that but don't despair. I have known many many MANY clients and my own childhood dog who had tumors and lived many many many more years. Even when they inoperable. Lola has a few fatty ones herself. It could just be a lump that looks yucky but doesn't do anything else. Get a second opinion on treatment and a deep breath.

Lola and I lend our thoughts and arfs :)

Anne S. said...

I am crossing my fingers, hoping for the best. Abbey is a wonderful girl, even though she's been cranky recently. And you are a good dog mom. She loves you very much, too.

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

Prayers from me.

Lisa said...

Thank you, everyone. Can I get a good recommendation in Seattle for a second opinion?

Anonymous said...

I posted your story to a dog trainers board I belong to. Most are based in Seattle so I should be flooded anytime:) I will let you know soon

Contact Travis said...

you are both in our family's thoughts and prayers.

Colleen said...

:( I'm sorry to hear this Lisa. I'll be thinking of you and your baby.

Kristin said...

Aww this makes me sad. I'm hoping for the best, sending good energy. I hope Abbey feels better soon. It's always so hard to learn this kind of news about a member of the family.