So much pride. So many times today my heart soared as I watched and listened to the events this Inaugural Day 2009. I woke at 4:00 this morning, had the radio on KUOW, which was running nonstop live coverage of the pre-inaugural events. I moved to the TV around 5:30, and tuned around for constant coverage.
Such pride. Not only for Barak Obama. My heart also swelled as Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi and Senator Diane Feinstein led President-elect Obama through the halls of the Capital to the dais where he would be inaugurated. Two women leading an African American man. 20 years ago, even the thought of this would be impossible.
I was surprised at the somber tone of the Inaugural Address. It seemed as if President Obama was saying "OK, America, stop this hero-worship thing. We've got WORK to do". There was no sugar-coating or false hopes. There was reality laced with respect.
I especially appreciated it as he offered a hand to those in the Muslim world and urged them to unclench their fist. It was a very poignant moment.
There are many observations, but since this blog is entitled "Dancing Again", I have one last thought.
Somebody has to give this guy dancing lessons. Those slow dances with First Lady Michelle Obama were kind of embarrassing. They verged on "awkward white guy" at times.
'Nuf said.
Now let's get down to business and HEAL this country.
3 comments:
hahah that's exactly what Mom mom said about their first dance! I totally agree with you, just looking at that picture of them makes me so happy. I'm excited for the future of our country under this new, positive leadership. What an incredible day that I will always remember.
Maybe he was dancing with a clenched fist?
But seriously, I thought it was pure 7th grade boy attempts slow dance dancing - just swaying and moving your feet two centimeters every other second.
The good news is, with so much work to be done, we're not likely to see him dancing again for a looong time!
Thanks Kristin! And SAMMY!! So excited you're reading my blog!
Post a Comment